Visual Inspection (VT)
Visual inspection can be used to inspect a variety of product forms including welds, machined components, castings and forgings. This process often takes place before, during and after the welding process.
This method involves the visual observation of the surface of a test object to evaluate the presence of surface discontinuities such as corrosion, misalignment of parts, physical damage and cracks. Visual inspection can be done by looking at the test piece directly, or by using optical instruments such as magnifying glasses, mirrors, borescopes and computer-assisted viewing systems.
Visual Inspection of complete welded components can detect a variety of flaws, including cracks, porosity and unfilled craters also dimensional checks of the weld size characteristics, warping and appearance can be evaluated.
- The method can be adapted for site or workshop use.
- It is quick and relatively uncomplicated.
- It gives immediate indications of defects.
- Large or small objects can be examined.
- Only suitable for surfaces than can be viewed.
- Usually only larger defects can be detected.
- Quality of inspection influenced by surface condition
Contact us to see how we can help with your NDT inspection